(11-17-21) On Wednesday November 17th at approximately 12:45 AM several Indiana police units were in pursuit of a stolen white box truck that was heading eastbound on I-94 into Michigan. Deputies Utt and Belden with the New Buffalo Township Patrol joined the pursuit as it passed the Welcome Center in New Buffalo Township.
Indiana police units were able to deploy stop sticks and deflate the tires on the truck prior to the vehicle entering Michigan. With the tires deflating the vehicle finally came to a stop near Exit #4 where the driver exited the vehicle and fled on foot.
Indiana police were able to deploy a K9 that pursued and caught the suspect after biting him.The suspect continued to resist officers while being taken into custody.
The suspect was taken to Spectrum Health Lakeland to be treated for the dog bites sustained during the foot pursuit and for a blood alcohol test. The suspect was later lodged in the Berrien County Jail by Deputy Utt.
LOCATION OF INCIDENT: I-94 eastbound at 4 mile marker New Buffalo Township
- Berrien County Sheriff’s Office –NB Twp Patrol
- Hammond Police Department
- Indiana State Police
- LaPorte County Sheriff’s Office
- Porter County Sheriff’s Office
- Pokagon Tribal Police Department
- New Buffalo City Police Department
SUSPECT: Sergio Covarrubias, 24 years of age from Chicago Illinois
SUSPECT VEHICLE:2015 International, 4300 Box Truck, white in color that was stolen outof Chicago, IL.The vehicle was towed by Roger’s Wrecker Service.
- Fleeing and Eluding Police 4thDegree
- OWI with High BAC
- Receiving/Concealing Stolen Property
- Police Officer Resist and Obstruct
- Open Container Alcohol in Motor Vehicle
- Driving without Valid Operator’s License